How Brushing your Teeth can help prevent Cavities

Brushing your teeth is an important part of your dental care routine.
Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush to prevent cavities and periodontal diseases.
The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily. Many recommendations make it possible to brush your teeth effectively!

How long does it take to brush? Why is brushing so necessary? How teeth brushing can prevent cavities?

Why do we have to Brush our Teeth

Brushing is the only way to effectively fight cavities. It is the only effective weapon against cavities today. Brushing helps to remove food debris and limit dental plaque, responsible for caries.
After each meal, food debris will settle on the teeth and between the interdental spaces.
The bacteria present in the mouth will turn these food debris into acid.
After each meal the acidity of the mouth increases, this acidity will attack the teeth and form cavities.

Bacterial plaque is a substance that deposits on the surface of the teeth. it contains mainly bacteria and their toxins, food debris and salivary proteins.

It is structurally organized to increase its resistance and promote the colonization of other dental surfaces.

Thanks to the mechanical action of the toothbrush, this structure will be disorganized. Brushing combined with fluoride toothpaste and a mouthwash, the bacteria responsible for caries will be eliminated.

How many Times do we have to Brush our Teeth?

Plaque is a biofilm. It is not a simple cluster of bacteria, but rather a group that is organized creating multiple interactions to ensure its growth and survival. Its formation is stimulated by different factors: sticky foods, caries, dental prosthesis.

The elimination of this biofilm is therefore essential. Once eliminated, it is indeed forty-eight hours before it is organized again and becomes aggressive.
Hence the interest of repeating brushing at least twice a day or preferably after each meal for 3 minutes and of course, avoid nibbling between these same meals. if you can not brush your teeth at noon, chew a sugar-free chewing gum or eat an apple. Both allow to clean the teeth without depositing sugar and without getting caught in the inter-dental spaces.
Although brushing is effective, it is not sufficient. Brushing alone removes only 70% of the bacterial plaque, the remaining 30% is in the spaces between the teeth out of reach of the toothbrush. It is necessary to use an interdental hygiene instrument to complete brushing such as dental floss or interdental brush.
In conclusion, there is probably a real benefit to cleaning the teeth without forgetting the interdental spaces in addition to a fluoride toothpaste. And this twice a day. To be most effective, ask your hygienist to guide you.

How to Brush your Teeth

There are different methods of brushing. Adopt the BASS technique, it is the most recommended.
tooth brushing

Brush held at 45 degrees to the tooth.
Then, move the bristles slightly under the gumline to stimulate and clean the gum

tooth brushing

Make vibratory movements with the toothbrush in contact with the tooth surface for 5 to 10 seconds (apply the same process for the rest of the teeth) but be careful not to damage the canine gum.

tooth brushing

To brush the insides of the front teeth, hold the toothbrush in a vertical position .

tooth brushing

For the chewing surface, apply sufficient pressure with short movements for 10seconds.

tooth brushing

for the inner side of the molars, apply the same movement as the outer face.


Remember to change your toothbrush regulary to avoid hurting your gums and for better oral hygiene.
"Your toothbrush must be changed every 2 or 3 months."